The property at 1006 Van Buren has enjoyed an extremely interesting life since its original construction in the late 1800’s. The structure was originally a livery stable owed by William Faulkner’s family in the early part of the 20th century. During the 1920’s it was converted into a theater for live performances and silent films where it was named The Lyric Theatre. The advent of motion pictures saw The Lyric evolve into Oxford’s first movie theater. In 1949, William Faulkner walked from his home in Oxford (Rowan Oak) to his childhood stable for the world premiere of MGM’s “Intruder in the Dust” that was adapted from one of his novels. The Lyric stopped operating as a movie theater in the 1970’s and was left abanoned from many years until the early 1980’s when it was restored and coverted into office spaces and a health center. In 2007, The Lyric underwent an extensive restoration process and was returned to its original use as a theater. It began operating again on July 3rd, 2008.